Summer interns with ASD present video games they developed based on research performed at TDLC (Photo: UC San Diego)
Dart NeuroScience - TDLC Seminar Series
Various Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00 pm. The Sanford Consortium / Duane J. Roth Auditorium: 2880 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr, La Jolla, CA
View the schedules and ARCHIVED VIDEOS!
- Podcast: Dr. Terrence Sejnowski is interviewed by Paul Middlebrooks at Brain Inspired: How to Start a Deep Learning Revolution
October 25, 2018. Click here to listen to the podcast! (#15 on the following webpage)
- The Global Science of Learning Design Convening: Sparking a Global Renaissance in learning
Dates: September 26-27, 2018
Click here to veiw more details about this Global event!
- Sound Health: Music and the Mind
Dates: September 7-8, 2018.
TDLC investigator Dr. John Iversen spoke at Music and the Mind, held at The Kennedy Center. The program "brought together some of today's most innovative artists and leading neuroscientists to explore connections between music, rhythm, and brain development." Read about the event on The Kennedy Center website, or download the flyer here!
- PoNG’s 2018 Internship Showcase
Date: August 9, 2018
Dr. Leanne Chukoskie developed a new paid internship program at UC San Diego that taps into the talents of autistic youth to develop therapeutic video games. The video games, which use eye movement to train attention, are based on research performed through TDLC. Their work was recently on display at the Qualcomm Institute during PoNG’s 2018 Internship Showcase. Click here to view photos of the event! (Photos by Alex Matthews for The Qualcomm Institute / UC San Diego)
- Global Convergence on the Science of Learning
Dates: February 8-10, 2018; Location: Alexandria, VA.
Hosted by the TDLC and organized by researchers, Andrea Chiba and Leanne Chukoskie, the meeting focused on improving education for children and the role of science in learning. Invited participants included researchers funded through the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Science of Learning program. More
Read an article about the event!
- Special screening of "SCREENAGERS: GROWING UP IN THE DIGITAL AGE"
Date: March 18, 2017; Location: The UCSD SDSC East Auditorium.
TDLC's Educator Network offerred a free screening of the film "SCREENAGERS" to celebrate Brain Awareness Week.
For more information, please click here.
- NIH/Kennedy Center Music and Health Initiative Workshop
Dates: January 26-27, 2017
TDLC researcger Dr. John Iversen was one of three speakers at a National Institutes of Health (NIH) workshop. He spoke about music and child development. The purpose of the workshop was to help guide the direction of a new partnership between the NIH and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to expand on an initiative that NIH has had with the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO) called Sound Health. Click here to view a video of the event!
- MEET Tomorrow's World: A Meeting on the Ethics of Emerging Technologies
Date: November 10, 2016 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
San Diego Central Public Library: Shiley Suite, 330 Park Blvd, San Diego 92101
Click here to learn more.
- Global Brain Initiative Meeting
Date: September 19, 2016; Location: Rockefeller University, NY
TDLC's Drs. Terry Sejnowski and Andrea Chiba participated in the meeting. The purpose of the meeting: To learn about brain projects around the world, to gather project leaders for possible future collaboration, and to prioritize projects, goals, and funding. Dr. Chiba spoke about the concept of a Global Science of Learning, and Dr. Sejnowski oversaw the wrap-up session. More
- San Diego Brain Hackathon
Date: September 10, 2016
TDLC investigators John Iversen and Alex Khalil, along with Joseph Heng (a visiting Masters student from Switzerland) entered the two-day Brain Hackathon as "Team Goblin." Their goal was to learn how to create a classroom-scale fun brain game, to introduce children to the idea of EEG and brain computer interfaces. To their surprise and delight, they won first place! The competition was organized by Qusp & CWLab International and sponsored by IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Brain Initiative. More
- TOMORROW’S WORLD: The Ethical Use of Emerging Technologies Symposium
March 20-21, 2016
TDLC scientists Drs. Andrea Chiba, Janet Wiles, Pat Churchland and Terry Sejnowski, with a grant from the NSF, held this international symposium to bring technologists, scientists, ethicists, and policymakers together to explore the most pressing issues with respect to use of these technologies for learning, rehabilitation, and teaching. The workshop was co-sponsored by the Australian Research Council and the Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, and was facilitated by Roger Bingham, Director of the UCSD Science Collaboratory and the Science Network. Click here for more information about the symposium, and here to view the program.
- NSF Science of Learning Centers Graduate and Look to the Future
During the week of February 8, 2016, the National Science Foundation (NSF) and its six Science of Learning Centers (SLCs) met in Washington D.C. to celebrate the extraordinary success of the SLC program. Click here to learn more about what occurred at the graduation, to find out the latest Sustainability efforts as the Centers head into the future, and to read NSF's "Ten takeaways from ten years of the Science of Learning Centers"! More
- TDLC All Hands Meeting
Dates: January 22-23, 2016. Click here to view event agenda.
- Mozart & The Mind
Date: Sept. 25-27, 2015, Location: Auditorium at The Scripps Research Institute
Click here for flier. Read more about how the event began by clicking here!
- Evolving Research on Music in Health, and Education (panel discussion);
Date: Sept. 25, 2015, 2-5 pm; UCSD Qualcomm Institute; Presented in concert with the
Mozart & the Mind festival). TDLC's Dr. John Iversen will participate on the panel. Click here for flier.
- Congressional Staff Visit (9/2/15)
Four members of Congressional Staff and a member of the National Science Foundation (NSF) toured various NSF-funded projects at UC San Diego. Drs. Chiba, Cottrell, Sejnowski, Poizner, Bartlett, Tallal, Forster, Khalil, Minces, and Snider participated in their tour of TDLC (click here for agenda). Other Science of Learning Directors Patricia Kuhl (University of Washington), Nora Newcombe (Temple University) and Barbara Shinn-Cunningham (Boston University) also presented results from their research in order to raise awareness of the importance of SLC work. Click here to learn more about TDLC SLC advocacy in Washington D.C.
- "Neurogaming on the Mesa" meeting,
Sept. 18, 2015; Atkinson Hall auditorium. Click here to see the in program agenda
- TDLC Boot Camp
Date: August 10-22, 2015 at UC San Diego. Click here to read more and here to view the schedule!
- Congressional Briefing on the Science of Learning (6/24/15)
TDLC Co-Director Andrea Chiba and Project Scientist Alex Khalil travelled to Washington, D.C. to co-host a Congressional Briefing on the Science of Learning, on June 24, 2015. Other Science of Learning Directors Patricia Kuhl (University of Washington), Nora Newcombe (Temple University) and Barbara Shinn-Cunningham (Boston University) also presented results from the research in order to raise awareness of the importance of this research. The event was co-sponsored by Congressional Representative Chaka Fattah of the 2nd district of Pennsylvania. View invite. Click here to read about TDLC's visit to Washington D.C. in 2014! Click here to read about that visit and a future visit in September 2015!
- The eighth annual inter-Science of Learning Centers (iSLC) Conference -
Research and Innovation: The Intersection with Education (Qualcomm Institute, UC San Diego)
Date: May 31 - June 2, 2015
- NSF Site Visit 2015 - May 21, 2015.
Click here to view event agenda.
- Perceptual Expertise Network (PEN) -
Date: May 14, 2015, Location: Tradewinds Island Resorts, St. Pete Beach, Florida
- TDLC All Hands Meeting
Dates: February 27-28, 2015 (Feb. 26th Fellows Retreat). Click here to view event agenda.
- Boldly Explore Where No Enterprise Has Gone Before: How Today's Science Fiction Inspires Tomorrow's Innovation
Nov. 12, 2014, 5:00-8:30 p.m.; Sanford Consortium for Regenerative Medicine; Roth Auditorium
2880 Torrey Pines Scenic Drive,UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037.
- The Magic of Music:
TDLC researcher Dr. John Iversen gave a talk on the SIMPHONY project at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry on Oct. 25, 2014, in a session entitled "The Magic of Music: Bringing Science and the San Diego Youth Symphony Together at AACAP."
- Salk Science & Music Series - November 2, 2014 at 4:00 p.m., at the Salk Institute
A performance by the Eldar Trio and a talk from Dr. Terry Sejnowski, who will discuss his research into how the human brain learns and stores memories.
- TDLC Investigator Marian Bartlett, PhD, Co-Founder & Lead Scientist of Emotient, will be giving a TEDx talk on October 11, 2014, at the Transformation Through Us event held at San Diego State University.
- Dr. Gedeon Deák Interviewed on Hangout On Air (a free webcast), 8/5/14
To View the Webcast: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cuun2kv878h8lv5mkhra4ddrtms
- Play Day for Educators at Balboa Park
Thursday, July 24, 2014, 3:30 – 6:30 pm, San Diego Museum of Art • Plaza de Panama
Innovators in education will facilitate activities including: UC San Diego's RUBI Social Robots and Gamelan Project.
- "An Evening with Rusty Gage" - Tues., July 22, 2014, at 5:3-9 p.m. Bella Vista Social Club & Caffé Networking Night
- "Approaching Twenty Years of Knowledge Tracing" Workshop
In conjunction with The 7th International Conference on Educational Data Mining, July 4, 2014 - July 7, 2014, Institute of Education, London, UK. Co-organized by TDLC's Mike Mozer. More
- NSF Site Visit
Date: June 19-20, 2014. Click the following links: Agenda | Talk Abstracts | Poster List.
- Music-Brain Symposium "Convergence: A Multidisciplinary Dialogue on Music" - Click here for more information!
Date: Sunday, May 18, 2014; Time: 8 am to 7 pm; Location: Conrad Presbys Music Center, UC San Diego, Rm 127
Full-day event open to the general public and specialists
Sponsored by TDLC and the UCSD Department of Music in collaboration with Mainly Mozart.
- TEN Brain Awareness Week Presentation
TDLC's The Educator Network Presented: Making Your Brain Mind: An Owner's Manual
Date: Thurs., March 13, 2014, 4-6:30 p.m. Featured Speaker, Dr. David Daniel, Live Presentation/Webinar, followed by a panel discussion of area high school students and UC San Diego students.
Click here to download a Video of the Presentation!
- TDLC All Hands Meeting (2014)
Dates: Friday, Feb. 7, 2014, and Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014. View the Videos! Click here to view event agenda.
- Crick-Jacobs Symposium - Transgenic Models of the Human Brain
Date: December 19, 2013, Time: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm; Location: Frederic de Hoffmann Auditorium, Salk Institute
Organizers: Terrence J. Sejnowski and John H. Reynolds
- NIPS 2013 Workshop on "Acquiring and analyzing the activity of large neural ensembles"
Keynote will be given by Terry Sejnowski, Salk Institute; Date: December 9th or 10th, 2013; Location: Lake Tahoe, Nevada
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN) Annual Meeting ;
November 9-13, 2013, Location: San Diego Convention Center
- Mind Reading: Human Origins and Theory of Mind (CARTA Symposium)
October 18, 2013, 1-5:30 p.m.; Location: De Hoffmann Auditorium, Salk Institute
- Learning to Attend, Attending to Learn: Neurological, Behavioral, and Computational Perspectives
Dates: November 6-7, 2013; Location: San Diego, CA
- International Neuroethics Society Annual Meeting
Date: November 8; Location: San Diego Marquis & Marina
- The 43rd annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience;
Dates: November 9-13, 2013; Location: San Diego, CA
- 2013 NSF Site Visit;
Dates: June 20-21, 2013.
Click the following links for more information: Agenda | Poster List
- Free Interactive Music & the Brain Exposition – Mozart & the Mind
Join us Saturdays May 11, May 18, and June 1, 6:30-7:30 pm for a series of free Music & the Brain Expositions, part of Mainly Mozart's new Mozart & the Mind series.
Click here to learn how Mozart & the Mind began!
- Mapping the Active Brain: Unlocking the Next Frontier – Solving the Mystery of the Human Mind-
Date: Friday, May 17, 5pm – 8pm; Location: Sanford Consortium Auditorium, La Jolla, CA
CONNECT has assembled panelists (including TDLC's Terry Sejnowski) to discuss the BRAIN Initiative and what the project’s "enormous potential will be to the future of science, innovation and patients." Panelists include: Ralph Greenspan, Associate Dir. of the Kavli Institute for Brain and Mind at UCSD (KIBM), Terrence Sejnowski, Director of INC at UCSD, Todd Hylton, Sr. Vice President, Brain Corporation, Anthony Lewis, Sr. Director, Qualcomm, and moderator Roger Bingham, Director of The Science Network.
- TDLC Live Webinar on 3/12/13 -
TDLC celebrated Brain Awareness Week with a live Presentation/Webinar:
How to Learn More Deeply and Creatively: Concrete Tools from Neuroscience and from Zombies
The event, organized by TDLC's The Educator Network, with Barbara Oakley, was followed by a Distinguished TDLC Scientist Panel (Andrea Chiba, Terry Sejnowski, and Paula Tallal). We hope you enjoyed NSF - Temporal Dynamic Learning Center's presentation for Brain Awareness Week. Click here to watch the fascinating presentation! Click here to view the event flier.
- Annual iSLC Meeting; Dates: Feb. 21-23, 2013; Location: Philadelphia Loews Hotel
- TDLC All Hands Meeting 2013;
Dates: February 8-9, 2013.
Click here for the event agenda. Click here for an article about the meeting.
- NIPS 2012 Workshop: Personalizing Education With Machine Learning (sponsored in part by TDLC)
Date: Saturday, December 8, 2012; Location: Lake Tahoe, California
To be held in conjunction with Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2012).
- Inaugural Symposium for San Diego Consortium for Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
Dates: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., at the UCSD Faculty Club, Atkinson Pavillion
Sponsored by: UCSD Departments of Neurosciences and Psychiatry and the NSF-funded TDLC
- National Science Board (NSB) Site Visit -
Date: September 19, 2012.
Click here for the event agenda.
- 2012 TDLC Summer Fellows Institute (SFI) On The Temporal Dynamics of Learning:
Brain, Behavior, and Computational Architectures; Dates: August 6-18, 2012. Click here to learn about SFI and see the agenda and project descriptions!
- 2012 NSF Site Visit - Dates: June 13-14, 2012.
Click the following links for more information: Agenda | Poster List
- TDLC Optimal Teaching Workshop-
Date: May 4, 2012
The goal of the Workshop, which was organized by TDLC's Javier Movellan and Jake Whitehill, was to bring together senior researchers from neuroscience, behavioral sciences, machine learning, education, and intelligent tutoring systems to understand the problem of teaching and the optimization of teaching from a computational perspective.
- iSLC Conference (inter-Science of Learning Center Conference) - Dates: April 21-23, 2012
- Brain Awareness Week (March 12-18, 2012) - TDLC will celebrate Brain Awareness Week on March 17, 2012.
- Arts and Human Development Public Webinar hosted by NEA, featuring TDLC post-docs Alex Khalil and Victor Minces,
who will present the Gamelan Project! Date: February. 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm EST.
- TDLC All Hands Meeting 2012 -
Dates: January 26-28, 2012
Click here for the event agenda.
- The third IMBES Biennial Conference - June 2–4, 2011 at the Catamaran Resort Hotel, San Diego, California
Sponsored by: Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center & Kavli Institute for Brain and Mind, UC San Diego
Please click here to read an interview with TDLC's Hal Pashler, one of the Plenary speakers for the IMBES Conference. Hal Pashler has done extensive work in memory and retention.
- NSF Site Visit -
May 12-13, 2011, at the San Diego Supercomputer Building, UC San Diego
Click the following links for more information: Agenda | Poster and Demo List
- Fifteenth International Conference on Cognitive and Neural Systems-
May 11 – 14, 2011 at
Sponsored by the Boston Univ. Center for Adaptive Systems, Dept. of Cognitive and Neural Systems (http://www.cns.bu.edu/), and Center of Excellence for Learning in Education, Science, and Technology (http://celest.bu.edu) with financial support from the National Science Foundation. Speakers include TDLC researcher David Sheinberg (Brown University) and several CELEST researchers.
- Osaka-UCSD Workshop 2011
March 15-16, 2011 - John Muir Room, Price Center East, UC San Diego.
This was the first joint workshop between researchers of UCSD's Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center and Osaka's Global Center of Excellence. Click here for flier.
- Brain Awareness Week (March 14-20, 2011) - TDLC celebrated Brain Awareness Week on March 19, 2011.
- The Let's Face It! Face Camp at Arbutus Middle School - March 8, 2011
- TDLC All-Hands Meeting 2011
- NSF Site Visit - June 21-23, 2010 at UC San Diego
Click here for the event agenda.