- Congressional Briefing on the Science of Learning - June 24, 2015
Dr. Andrea Chiba and Alex Khalil presented results from TDLC research in order to raise awareness of the importance of Science of Learning research. The event was co-sponsored by Congressional Representative Chaka Fattah of the 2nd district of Pennsylvania. View invite
- The eighth annual inter-Science of Learning Centers (iSLC) Conference -
Research and Innovation: The Intersection with Education (Qualcomm Institute, UC San Diego)
Date: May 31 - June 2, 2015 - www.islc2015.org for more information.
- NSF Site Visit 2015 - May 21, 2015. More
- Perceptual Expertise Network (PEN) -
Date: May 14, 2015,
Location: Tradewinds Island Resorts, St. Pete Beach, Florida
- TDLC All Hands Meeting
Dates: February 27-28, 2015
(Feb. 26th Fellows Retreat). More
- Boldly Explore Where No Enterprise Has Gone Before: How Today's Science Fiction Inspires Tomorrow's Innovation
Nov. 12, 2014, 5:00-8:30 p.m.; Sanford Consortium for Regenerative Medicine; Roth Auditorium
2880 Torrey Pines Scenic Drive,UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037. More
- The Magic of Music:
TDLC researcher Dr. John Iversen gave a talk on the SIMPHONY project at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry on Oct. 25, 2014, in a session entitled "The Magic of Music: Bringing Science and the San Diego Youth Symphony Together at AACAP." The session focused on the role of music in leading to healthy child development and featured additional talks by Dalouge Smith, CEO of SD Youth Symphony, Dr. William Wood, and Dr. Jim Hudziak. The session ended with performances by Community Opus and SDYS performers who spoke movingly about the deeply positive impact music has had on their lives.
- Salk Science & Music Series - November 2, 2014 at 4:00 p.m., at the Salk Institute
A performance by the Eldar Trio and a talk from Dr. Terry Sejnowski, who will discuss his research into how the human brain learns and stores memories. More
- TDLC Investigator Marian Bartlett, PhD, Co-Founder & Lead Scientist of Emotient, will be giving a TEDx talk on October 11, 2014, at the Transformation Through Us event held at San Diego State University. Dr. Bartlett will speak about how Emotion Aware Machines will transform the future of what computers can do. Click here for details and to register!
Note: Promo Code for discount: AFC_Network
- Dr. Gedeon Deák Interviewed on Hangout On Air (a free webcast), 8/5/14
To View the Webcast: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cuun2kv878h8lv5mkhra4ddrtms
About Hangout On Air: Developmental Science HOA, a new collaborative Hangout On Air series, is co-hosted by Science on Google and Developmental Psychology. In this episode, TDLC's Dr. Gedeon Deák will discuss recent findings from his lab. More info
- Play Day for Educators at Balboa Park
Thursday, July 24, 2014, 3:30 – 6:30 pm, San Diego Museum of Art • Plaza de Panama
Innovators in education will facilitate activities including: UC San Diego's RUBI Social Robots and Gamelan Project.
- "An Evening with Rusty Gage" - Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at 5:3-9:00 p.m.
Bella Vista Social Club & Caffé Networking Night
- "Approaching Twenty Years of Knowledge Tracing" Workshop
In conjunction with The 7th International Conference on Educational Data Mining, July 4, 2014 - July 7, 2014, Institute of Education, London, UK. Co-organized by TDLC's Mike Mozer. More
- NSF Site Visit
Date: June 19-20, 2014 - More
- Music-Brain Symposium "Convergence: A Multidisciplinary Dialogue on Music"
Date: Sunday, May 18, 2014;
Time: 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Location: Conrad Presbys Music Center, UC San Diego, Room 127
Full-day event open to the general public and specialists
Sponsored by TDLC and the UCSD Department of Music in collaboration with Mainly Mozart
The symposium brings together academic researchers, composers, educators and clinicians in a series of panels examining interdisciplinary crossroads between music, composition, education, health and cognitive neuroscience.More information
- Annual Report Development Process - Feb-April, 2014
March 17: All Publications, Activities, Awards and Personal Data Entry Deadline
March 21: Project Progress Reports Deadline
March 24: Database Closes for Annual Report Preparation
April 14: Initiative Reports Deadline
- TEN Brain Awareness Week Presentation
TDLC's The Educator Network Presented: Making Your Brain Mind: An Owner's Manual
Date: Thursday, March 13, 2014,
4:00-6:30 p.m. Featured Speaker, Dr. David Daniel,
Live Presentation/Webinar, followed by a panel discussioon of area high school students
and UC San Diego students. Reception & Refreshments followed. More info...
Click here to download a Video of the Presentation!
- TDLC All Hands Meeting (2014)
Dates: Friday, Feb. 7, 2014, and Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014. View the Videos!
- Crick-Jacobs Symposium - Transgenic Models of the Human Brain
December 19, 2013,
8:30 am – 5:30 pm; Location: Frederic de Hoffmann Auditorium, Salk Institute
Organizers: Terrence J. Sejnowski and John H. Reynolds
- NIPS 2013 Workshop on "Acquiring and analyzing the activity of large neural ensembles"
Keynote will be given by Terry Sejnowski, Salk Institute
December 9th or 10th, 2013;
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN) Annual Meeting
November 9-13, 2013, Location:
San Diego Convention Center
- Mind Reading: Human Origins and Theory of Mind (CARTA Symposium)
October 18, 2013, 1-5:30 p.m.; Location:
De Hoffmann Auditorium, Salk Institute
- Learning to Attend, Attending to Learn: Neurological, Behavioral, and Computational Perspectives
Workshop Date: November 6-7, 2013;
San Diego, CA
- International Neuroethics Society Annual Meeting
Date: November 8; Location: San Diego Marquis & Marina
- The 43rd annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience
Dates: November 9-13, 2013;
Location: San Diego, CA
2013 NSF Site Visit
Dates: June 20-21, 2013
Free Interactive Music & the Brain Exposition – Mozart & the Mind
Join us Saturdays May 11, May 18, and June 1, 6:30-7:30 pm for a series of free Music & the Brain Expositions, part of Mainly Mozart's new Mozart & the Mind series. "This is a unique opportunity to engage with scientists, musicians, and fellow music aficionados around a series of interactive installations exploring connections between music and the brain!" TDLC investigators Scott Makeig, Tim Mullen, Alex Khalil, Victor Mincez, and John Iversen will participate, along with other scientists and musicians. There is also an opportunity to purchase tickets for the complete Mozart & the Mind and Spotlight Series concert program.
(Note: Discounts for members of the UCSD community: code UCSD13).More information about the expo, the entire Mozart & the Mind Series and brochure...
- Mapping the Active Brain: Unlocking the Next Frontier – Solving the Mystery of the Human Mind-
Friday, May 17, 5pm – 8pm; Location: Sanford Consortium Auditorium, La Jolla, CA
CONNECT has assembled panelists (including TDLC's Terry Sejnowski) to discuss the BRAIN Initiative and what the project’s "enormous potential will be to the future of science, innovation and patients." (Connect Member: $30 Non-Member: $50). Panelists include: Ralph Greenspan, Associate Dir. of the Kavli Institute for Brain and Mind at UCSD (KIBM), Terrence Sejnowski, Director of INC at UCSD,
Todd Hylton, Sr. Vice President, Brain Corporation,
Anthony Lewis, Sr. Director, Qualcomm,
and moderator Roger Bingham, Director of The Science Network.
- TDLC Live Webinar on 3/12/13
TDLC celebrated Brain Awareness Week with a live Presentation/Webinar:
How to Learn More Deeply and Creatively: Concrete Tools from Neuroscience and from Zombies
The event, organized by TDLC's The Educator Network, with Barbara Oakley, was followed by a
Distinguished TDLC Scientist Panel (Andrea Chiba, Terry Sejnowski, and Paula Tallal).
We hope you enjoyed NSF - Temporal Dynamic Learning Center's presentation for Brain Awareness Week. To view the recorded Webinar, click here. Thank you! More info
Annual iSLC Meeting
Dates: Feb. 21-23, 2013
Location: Philadelphia Loews Hotel
- TDLC All Hands Meeting 2013
Dates: February 8-9, 2013. More ...
Videos now available!
- NIPS 2012 Workshop: Personalizing Education With Machine Learning (sponsored in part by TDLC)
Date: Saturday, December 8, 2012
Lake Tahoe, California
To be held in conjunction with Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2012).
More about the workshop ...
- Inaugural Symposium for San Diego Consortium for Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
Dates: Thursday, November 29, 2012,
11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., at the
UCSD Faculty Club, Atkinson Pavillion
Sponsored by: UCSD Departments of Neurosciences and Psychiatry and the NSF-funded Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center. More ...
- National Science Board (NSB) Site Visit
Date: September 19, 2012
- 2012 TDLC Summer Fellows Institute (SFI) On The Temporal Dynamics of Learning:
Brain, Behavior, and Computational Architectures
Dates: August 6-18, 2012
- 2012 NSF Site Visit
Dates: June 13-14, 2012
- TDLC Optimal Teaching Workshop
Date: May 4, 2012
The goal of the Workshop, which was organized by TDLC's Javier Movellan and Jake Whitehill, was to bring together senior researchers from neuroscience, behavioral sciences, machine learning, education, and intelligent tutoring systems to understand the problem of teaching and the optimization of teaching from a computational perspective. While physical attendance is restricted to invited speakers, Web-based participation in the Workshop was available to the public.
- iSLC Conference (inter-Science of Learning Center Conference)
Dates: April 21-23, 2012
- Brain Awareness Week (March 12-18, 2012)
TDLC will celebrate Brain Awareness Week on March 17, 2012. More ...
Arts and Human Development Public Webinar hosted by NEA, featuring TDLC post-docs Alex Khalil and Victor Minces,
who will present the Gamelan Project!
Date: February. 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm EST. More
- TDLC All Hands Meeting 2012
Dates: January 26-28, 2012
- The third IMBES Biennial Conference
June 2–4, 2011 at the Catamaran Resort Hotel, San Diego, California
Sponsored by: Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center & Kavli Institute for Brain and Mind, UC San Diego
Description: The conference provides a forum to explore exciting new advances in the emerging field of Mind, Brain, and Education. Please click here to read an interview with TDLC's Hal Pashler, one of the Plenary speakers for the IMBES Conference. Hal Pashler has done extensive work in memory and retention. His presentation will offer practical suggestions on ways to plan lessons to help students retain information learned.
- NSF Site Visit
May 12-13, 2011, at the San Diego Supercomputer Building, UC San Diego
Poster Gallery from Site Visit
- Fifteenth International Conference on Cognitive and Neural Systems
May 11 – 14, 2011 at
Sponsored by the Boston Univ. Center for Adaptive Systems, Dept. of Cognitive and Neural Systems (http://www.cns.bu.edu/), and Center of Excellence for Learning in Education, Science, and Technology (http://celest.bu.edu) with financial support from the National Science Foundation. Speakers include TDLC researcher David Sheinberg (Brown University) and several CELEST researchers. http://cns.bu.edu/cns-meeting/conference.html
- Osaka-UCSD Workshop 2011
March 15-16, 2011 -
John Muir Room, Price Center East, UC San Diego.
This was the first joint workshop between researchers of UCSD's Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center and Osaka's Global Center of Excellence. Click here for more information.
- Brain Awareness Week (March 14-20, 2011)
TDLC celebrated Brain Awareness Week
on March 19, 2011. More ...
- The Let's Face It! Face Camp at Arbutus Middle School
March 8, 2011
- TDLC All-Hands Meeting 2011
Poster Gallery from AHM
Article about the All Hands Meeting
- NSF Site Visit
June 21-23, 2010 at UC San Diego
IMS RoboRat Workshop
May 10, 2010 at UC San Diego
Date: January 22-23, 2010 (invitation only)
Please click here to see the agenda and more information about the event!
- 1st Annual TDLC Trainee Bootcamp
August 10-22, 2009 at UC San Diego
- NSF Site Visit
June 11-12, 2009 at UC San Diego
- All-Hands Meeting
Feb. 20-21, 2009 at UC San Diego
- NSF Site Visit
April 24-25, 2008 at UC San Diego
- Brains 'R' Us: The Science of Educating (Town Hall Meeting)
March 3, 2008 at The Salk Institute
- All-Hands Meeting
Jan. 4-6, 2008 at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- NSF Site Visit
April 30 - May 1, 2007 at UC San Diego
- All-Hands Meeting
Jan. 7-9, 2007 at The Salk Institute, San Diego, CA